Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Cake

Vegan Chocolate Cake

Today was one of those days of fun in the kitchen and I'm happily sharing my recipe adventures with you all :)

For lunch I made a delicious Spicy Guacamole:
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomato
  • 1/4  cup minced onion
  • 2 tbsp. minced jalapeƱo
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin

That is a recipe from a book, but I always do everything to taste. It also says to put everything in a food processor, but I like to do it all by hand. It turned out absolutely great: creamy with a bit of kick from the jalapeƱos (I added extra). I also served mine with multigrain tortilla chips, just to be healthier, haha!

The next thing I made was a Vegan Chocolate Cake (see above):
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 6 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp. vinegar
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa. In a second bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, vanilla and water. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Pour into the pan and bake at 350 degrees until the cake is firm in the center and begins to pull away from the pan, about 35-40 minutes.

Chocolate Icing:
  • 4 tbsp. oil
  • 4 tbsp. water
  • 6 tbsp. sifted cocoa powder
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Place the water and oil in a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Blend in the cocoa and sugar. Beat until smooth. After the cake has cooled down for 30 minutes, pour the icing over the cake and spread it to the edges.

Don't be fooled; vegan desserts are not necessarily healthy desserts! I just finished having a piece of the cake and it was fabulous. Of course I took time from all my cooking and baking (and eating) to call my dad. As you can see, it was a happy father's day! 

@LoveKaruna (Twitter) 

1 comment: