Sunday, November 11, 2012

India Journal Snippets (Part 3)

Mother Teresa's Home for the Sick and Dying Destitutes a.k.a. Kalighat (not my photo)

(Part 1 begins on October 7th)

Note: This was written after I left Calcutta for 2 weeks to go back to Sri Lanka and visit my friends.

May 1st, 2006

I am leaving in a couple of hours to go the airport. I am really, really hoping that (Anonymous friend) will be there to meet me. If not, I'll figure it out. What other choice do I have? Nilmini has sent me a goodbye message from Bellwood Cultural Centre. I am happy for her. She will be starting university soon. BREAK. Oh thank the Lord (Anonymous friend) was at the airport today. He was a little late, but oh man he was there to meet me. I'm sitting here in my bra and undies, my stuff is all over my bed and I'm so hot. My room is only slightly larger than a single bed. It's dirty, but it's cheap and fine for me. I'm quite surprised at myself actually. I'm taking all of these new experiences quite well. I am a goddess! I am always protected! Haha. Today (Anonymous friend) and I walked and talked about program stuff and Sri Lanka. Tomorrow he is going to introduce me to the nuns at Motherhouse. I am very excited. I know this experience will be great for me.

May 2nd, 2006

I slept a little late last night. Woke up before 6 am. I am tired, but that should pass once I get busy today. I am supposed to be working in Kalighat today. I am very interested. I have never been around dying people before. BREAK. So today I volunteered for a bit. I hung clothes to dry on the roof, rinsed dishes, swept the floor, folded sheets and cut up fruit. I didn't work with the people yet, but I will try tomorrow. I think I will go to mass tomorrow morning. (Anonymous friend) is sick so he has been sleeping all afternoon. He is supposed to be moving into the rooftop room tonight. I have to go wake him up son. I have been talking to some really interesting people this afternoon. BREAK. We went to eat with our 2 new Canadian friends from Vancouver. I think they're pretty cool people. Adam has been travelling for the past 7 1/2 months. His friend Heidi just joined him. She cannot hear, but she is super easy to communicate with. It's been a cool day. Except for when I got lost.

May 3rd, 3006

Today I volunteered again in the morning. I went to mass also. It was interesting, but I'm not sure if I will do the "come and see". I don't feel right singing to Jesus and the Catholic God and everything. I don't feel that's where my God is. This afternoon I went to the volunteer orientation. I am interested to see which new volunteers wik,ll be at Kalighat. I won't be the only newbie anymore. Yay. We went to this really great rooftop patio for drinks and food. I didn't drink alcohol, but I ate like a pig. This evening I talked to this cute guy from Spain for a long time. He is kind of doing the same as me. Volunteering at Mother Teresa's for 2 months and trying to figure out his life. It's almost 1 am now so I should go to sleep.

May 4th, 2006

I am lying in bed naked after I just took a refreshing shower. I missed the field trip to Titagarh this morning. I was puking all last night. I think I ate too much heavy food before going to bed. I feel better now. Tonight we are going to listen to some music at "Somebody Else's Place"? Once again I will not drink. I just bumped my head and how I have a bump.

May 5th, 2006

Last night me, Adam, (Anonymous friend), Anni and IƱigo went to the bar/pub called Someplace Else. When we first got there they were playing good songs from Oasis, Coldplay...umm and others. Then this band came on with one female singer. They did covers for Alanis Morissette, Coldplay...man I can't remember. Anyway, it was great. I smoked a clove cigarette. I can't believe it. It's a big secret from my friends right now. I also drank a little beer after quitting in April. I don't really care. I am here. I am being free. I am choosing as I go. After leaving the pub with its air conditioned washrooms we walked outside and stepped back into reality. Outside is a hot, hustling, bustling city with poverty on every corner. There is a great contrast between the two, with so much to show on each side.

@LoveKaruna (Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment