Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hunter Valentine

This is a heads up, a shout out and a tribute to my girl Kiyomi and her awesome rock band Hunter Valentine!

I've known Kiyomi since I was in the 8th grade. We went to different middle schools, but when we met through a group of mutual friends one day we were pretty much bonded by our shared mixed, Japanese-Canadian heritage. We even found out that our grandparents went to the same Japanese church and we would both go to the annual church bazaar and eat sushi and the Japanese-Canadian version of chow mein. Over the first couple of years we shared a lot and grew closer over the standard (and not so standard) teen drama of our time. We even created a special book that each of us would take turns writing secrets, drawing and gluing pictures in before passing it off to the other one to read and do the same. It was hilarious reading it so many years later, but I realized that we were actually going through a lot of bullshit for our age and I guess that brought us closer.

Anyway, eventually Kiyomi and I grew apart, just due to lifestyle changes and all that stuff that happens when you get older, but over the years I've been watching her from a distance as she has pursued her dreams and become more and more successful as a musician. She is truly inspiring and still one of the coolest people I know! Just a couple of weeks ago I found out that she is now on the reality show The Real L Word and I think it's so awesome because, not only do you get to see my amazingly hot friend chilling with a bunch of other hot lesbians, you get to see some behind the scenes footage of her band life too. You can see the show on Showtime, Thursdays at 10 pm if you're interested. I'm just really proud of my friend and so today I decided to blog about her :)

Here's one of Hunter Valentine's music videos - The Stalker:


@LoveKaruna (Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment