Sunday, March 11, 2012

Vegan Baking

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



So the other night I tried to bake these cookies and as usual the results were good, but nothing to rave about. I actually have a few reasons to explain this (meaning it's not entirely my fault this time). This is what I've come up with:

  1. Due to some of the ingredients in the recipe (oats, egg replacer, oil), the batter didn't seem to stick together.
  2. I added too many chocolate chips (I had extra so I just poured them in which is usually a no-no when it comes to baking).
  3. This was my first time making this recipe and I don't bake enough.
  4. I don't have the magic touch when it comes to baking.
The end result turned out to be pretty thick and dense cookies that were extremely chocolatey, but they actually tasted pretty good. I would use this recipe again and maybe add just a little less oats and definitely not put the extra chocolate chips. I think this was what made it hard for them to stick together. Anyway, here is the recipe below if you'd like to try it out for yourself. But don't be fooled...just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy! 

What you need:

  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • Egg replacer for three eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

What you do:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, egg replacer and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Combine with oil mixture.
  4. Stir in the oatmeal and chocolate chips until well combined.
  5. Drop by spoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. 
@LoveKaruna (Twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment